Dear students interested in participating in an exchange, on this website you will find information regarding the HSG Asia Term. Please consider this to be a general summary of the information available. The information here is provided for students interested in studying at the University of St.Gallen (HSG) as degree students and also interested in the exchange opportunities at HSG. Detailed information is available on StudentWeb and you have access to StudentWeb as soon as you are immatriculated at HSG.
- The exchange programme is a voluntary option offered by the University of St.Gallen (HSG). Applicants are not guaranteed an exchange place.
- The selection process takes place once a year.
- An exchange at a partner university is possible from the 5th semester of the Bachelor‘s level.
- A minimum of 104 ECTS of 180 ECTS must be acquired at the HSG.
|Spend a second semester at a partner university. Application «Second Exchange Partner Universities» only possible with the HSG Asia Term and the HSG Latam Term programmes. Find detailed information on StudentWeb (Login only with HSG-account).
General Information on HSG Asia Term
The HSG Asia Term is the flagship exchange programme between the University of St.Gallen and the Singapore Management University (SMU). It provides a unique opportunity to spend the fifth semester of your Bachelor degree studies abroad in Singapore.
Being integrated into SMU’s curriculum and semester, the HSG Asia Term starts mid-August and ends mid-December. The HSG Asia Term is open to HSG students of any HSG Bachelor study major.
Besides absolving course work at SMU and interact with local students, participants can also profit from these exclusive highlights:
- Take up a real-life Business Consulting case for a company in Singapore, which can also be credited as your Capstone project.
- Build a strong network with business people in Singapore and the region through company events and case work.
- Through the Business Study Missions, dive deeply into the business landscape of a focus country, like China or Malaysia, where you will visit leading companies and interact with their management.
Requirements for the application and for beginning the exchange semester
General application prerequisits
• Enrolled in a HSG Bachelor programme at the time of application.
• For an exchange in the 5th or 6th semester: minimum of 4.50 grade average of Assessment Year studies. Applicants with an external Bachelors degree who are exempted from the assessment year must have an overall grade average of at least 4.50.
Requirements for beginning the exchange semester
• Enrolled in a HSG Bachelor programme.
Selecting universities for an exchange
Selecting universities for an exchange
In the application you may enter up to seven partner universities of your choice and in
the order of your preference. Application conditions are the same as for an exchange semester at a partner university. The HSG Asia Term in Singapore can be selected as one preference «Singapore - HSG Asia Term, Singapore Management University, Singapore».You can find an overview of our partner universities here.
If you want to apply for the HSG Asia Term, this option will be available and marked as "HSG Asia Term at Singapore Management University"
Please note that this is a general list - detailed information with semester dates, fact sheets and fields of study are available on our StudentWeb. Please do not contact Student Mobility before you have not checked the detailed information on the StudentWeb. You will be granted access to the StudentWeb after having been admitted to a HSG programme.
When making your exchange university selections, consider the language of instruction, the local language, available fields of study, semester dates, travel advisories, etc.
• Autumn semester: Begin of exchange between 1 July and 31 December is considered as absence in autumn semester
Application period for an exchange in Autumn semester 2023: 22 December 2022 to 12 January 2023, 16.00 (St.Gallen - CH)
Application deadline for an exchange in Autumn semester 2023: 12 January 2023, 16.00 (St.Gallen - CH)
English language requirement
For the SMO exchange application, one of the following English language certifications (not older than 2 years) must be submitted:
• TOEFL internet-based min. 100 points
IBT Toefl Special Home Edition and TOEFL Best Score will be accepted by Student Mobility of the University of St.Gallen for exchange applications for an exchange at a partner university in the academic year of 2023/2024.
|• IELTS (Academic Test) min. grade 7
|• Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE) min. grade B
|• Cambridge C2 Proficiency (CPE) min. grade C
|• Recognised tertiary degree certificate fully completed in English. English as the language of
instruction must be declared on the diploma or confirmed in writing by the degree granting
• Proof of English as school language* according to HSG implementation provisions Academic Programmes regarding languages (Art. 69)
*School language = the language in which the majority of the school education and, if applicable, tertiary education took place.
BE CAREFUL: The language of instruction of the HSG degree programme is not considered as proof of English proficiency.
All of the above listed English language tests and degree certifications may not be older than two years by the date of the SMO exchange application deadline, i.e. they must have been taken on or after 12 January 2021.
Results from test dates on or prior to 11 January 2021 will not be accepted.
Transfer of credit towards HSG degree
Generally, it is possible to transfer credits towards studies at the University of St.Gallen from an exchange semester at a recognized university. Detailed information on the guidelines Bachelor's level is available in StudentWeb on the website of the Admissions and Crediting Office.
For specific information regarding credit transfer of the HSG Asia Term towards HSG studies, please see the credit transfer list in StudentWeb or website of the SGI-HSG in Singapore (quick links).
Tuition fees must be paid at the HSG during the semester abroad. HSG students are not required to pay basic tuition fees at the host university but will be responsible for all other costs related to their semester abroad.
The course "Management in Europe" SMU students at HSG
In exchange, 30 SMU students visit the HSG in April/May and take the course "Management in Europe", 4,186,1.00. As an HSG student, you may also take part in this course by using the normal bidding process. As excursions are a central part of this programme, a participation fee is collected for this course. Details can be found in the course description.